Friday, August 3, 2007

On Living

Please forgive me while I wax poetic.

Every morning, when the first rays of sun find their way into my window, I am grateful to greet the day. The haphazardly thrown on clothes join the quickly tossed up hair before I reach for a leash, a bag, and a dog, and head into the outside world.

Our town has a homey feel. Waiting in the lobby is the doorman whose daughter is expecting her second child. Our friend from three floors above is walking her young daughter and small dog and we stop to discuss the weekend weather.

Outside the maintenance guys smile and say good morning as they turn off their hose momentarily and postpone the morning ritual of cleaning up our little street. These charmingly familiar sounds of life surround me and I smile in thanks.

We will soon get to the mud truck where I will order my coffee. Yes, I spoke correctly, it is a truck. And we will make our way to the dog park where we will meet our friends and neighbors to discuss the new construction going on in the square and transportation prices while we watch our dogs enjoy the few hours before the sun makes it difficult for anyone to move!

After the park we stroll through the market, greeting the vendors and taking our breakfast in samples. Someone just brought their first heirloom tomatoes, while another farmer is proudly showcasing the first mutsu apples of the season. We chat, we sample, we stroll, we buy. Not in any particular order.

What I want to know is why are we, the people sitting in the midst of one of the largest metropolises in America, living the life of our grandparents, while the majority run off to the burbs to rely on gas guzzlers and produce that is more well traveled than many of its very consumers?

When G & I talk about moving I think about these things. Our quaint town of nearly 9 million people seems to be doing something right. We get plenty of exercise just doing daily routines, we have access to low cost quality produce, and we use public transportation (okay so sometimes we take cabs).

What do I think of the suburbs? Don't ask. If it ain't country, I'm not interested.

Just some early morning thoughts.

No comments: