Friday, August 31, 2007

London Calling

Perhaps the reason for my travel writing procrastination has something to do with my desire to prolong the vacation mode I have been in for some time. Although the weather was bleak and the weather men should surely be fired, our adventure in London was very special.

The first two days found me venturing off on my own, always under the watchful "Eye" that seemed to pop up everywhere, even at Buckingham Palace where this beautiful statue was photographed:

I am always fascinated by statues, something about this lion's confident resolve to protect the palace in addition to the British flag waving so beautifully in the background made me really take notice:


The palace was a beautiful place, but more impressive were the gardens and the impeccable landscaping that set a fantastic backdrop for these swans to enjoy a little rainy swim. Oh, and there's that 'eye' again:


Not being one for spending a fortune to be herded with masses of tourists, I took in the sights from a far most of the time. This shot of Westminster Abbey was taken from the small church just across the yard from this magnificent structure. I thought it looked appropriately mysterious from afar:


This girl was a newcomer to London, but not to the historic site of this guy here:


Highlights of this trip were our dinners at 2Veneti and Ozer, the former being photographed here. They offered a lovely aperitif that was followed by a scrumptious dinner. Ozer (not pictured) was a surprisingly reasonable and extremely delicious mediterannean restaurant right off Regent Street.


The perfect end to our adventure in London was our trip to see The Merchant of Venice at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
Liked London, but adored Paris. And I'll tell you why soon!

8 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Great to have you back. My absolute favourite - the shot of Westminster Abbey.

Anonymous said...

Loved the photo's, the subjects were interesting, and, the way you shot the sites were fabulous! Have you ever photographed a wedding?

dot said...

It's such fun to visit other parts of the world through blogging! Enjoyed your photos. I think I liked the first one best.
Thanks for your nice comment on my blog today!

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

David-
Thank you for the warm welcome home. It sure is nice to get back to our routine although I could definitely see myself in Paris for more than a short stay.

Thanks for the compliments about the shot of Westminster, it's my favorite as well :)

All the best,
Lindsay

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

Hello Anonymous,
Thank you for the kind suggestion. I have not ever photographed a wedding although the photographer we used was quite spectacular. I'll send you his site if you are interested!
All the best,
Lindsay

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

Hello Dot.
Our vacation was so much fun that I had to share! I enjoyed wandering around your blog as well and will surely be back soon.
All the best to you.
Lindsay

Amanda Jean said...

love your photos. I don't blame you for wanting to prolong your vacation!

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

Thank you AmandaJean! Just wait until Paris part 2 posts. I loved that city and am already trying to figure out how i can get back...