Tuesday, September 25, 2007

We've gone cake crazy!

note the dense milk chocolate, gooey brown sugar, toasted pecan bits and dried cherries as they take this simple zucchini cake to the next galaxy of goodness...

Toasted Pecan, Cherry and Milk Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Ever since the advent of our zucchini bread creation, we have been adapting, modifying and just plain loving the heck out of the combination of moist zucchini, brown sugar, and all the accoutrement's that take this treat from a bread to a cake.

This weekend found us in dire need of a sweet treat to break our fast, and this little number came in handy as it helped empty the fridge and satisfy our sweet tooth, and was concocted in under an hour.... kind of!

So here is one more reason not to fret over the abundance of zucchini this time of year. Firstly, because they freeze beautifully after being grated which secures this number in seasons to come. Secondly, this is an ideal way to incorporate veggies into your diet. (Okay so maybe that's cheating a bit with all the added sugar.) And last but not least, it's a fun way to empty your cupboards of leftover bits of walnuts, pecans, almonds, dried fruit, fresh fruit, caramel bits, or chocolate in any form.

I would offer to share a slice of this heaven but it disappeared before it had time to cool.

Maybe next time?

Happy eating!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow...uh...zucchini!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lindsay,

Got my taste buds working overtime.

Can't remember if I replied to your query on your blog or on mine, but I'd love to see the post on your childhood imaginary friend.

Cheers

David

Thimbleanna said...

Yum -- it looks delicious. And yes, that's seriously cheating to use it as veggies in the diet. But we all love cheating!

Katie Zeller said...

I've been on a bit of a zucchini bread/cake frenzy myself - they also freeze well.
Such a good way to get your 5-a-day, don't you think! Smothered in chocolate and nuts?

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

Jackie-
Shall I bring a piece of the next batch for breakfast one morning?

David-
I think a story of my first childhood friend would border on pathetic. But I am waiting for a question that I can sink my teeth into and really write about... Would you mind if I adapted your 'weekend wonder' to be food related? I think in allclad and wustoff, apparently!

Thimbleanna-
It's not cheating unless you tell ;)

Katie-
Putting the words smothered and chocolate in the same sentence is enough to make my day. Thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

when you were a little girl, i couldn't get you to eat your veggies (zucchini included!!!)
if i had only known the secret was in turning the veggies into cake!!!
xox
nancy b

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

and now we know for future little one's, right nkb?

jeena-
thanks for stopping by and for sharing your site with us.

cakebaker_cakemaker said...

I would like to try this cake but can't seem to get the recipe by clicking onto the bold letters under the photo.
Any help would be appreciated....oh I just had a thought maybe you have a recipe index....I'll have a look.

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

hello cakebaker_cakemaker, and thanks for dropping by!

i just linked this post to the appropriate recipe and hope you find it useful.

please share with us your results and any creative interpretations!

all the best,
lindsay