Thursday, October 11, 2007

Bakers edge, bakers edge, bake me a dish!

The days of fall are officially upon us. Instead of waking up and tossing on sandals, it is boots and closed toe shoes for us here in NYC. And with this, my favorite season, come all sorts of good things. Football games take over lazy Saturday afternoons. Leaves begin their magical transformation, turning central park into a jewel toned shop window for all her visitors. The lights for the holidays are not yet out, but there is something magical lurking in the air....

The smell of hot cider simmering with cinnamon and nutmeg wafts through the farmers markets. Vendors put away their vibrant greens and introduce to us their deep yellows, oranges, and reds.

And so I came to invent a new fall treat, the apple identity crisis. Appropriately named due to my inability to decide whether it would be part tart or part crumble. Et voila! It is both:



A chewy yet crisp tart bottom, then a layer of fresh sliced opalescent apples tossed in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, then topped with a crumble of oats, brown sugar, flour and a bit of cold butter.



Mmmmm.....
Who's having seconds?

3 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hmmm...maybe I can catch the next Jet Blue flight out of Long Beach for New York? Will there be any left? Looks delicious! I love visiting your blog; there's always some good food or an interesting thought to look at/read.

Amanda Jean said...

that looks delightful! I'd love to try it. Do you have a recipe to share? I'll take seconds!

Anonymous said...

Ok, not fair...I love autumn, the leaves changing, the smell of cider,and, the excitement of the streets of nyc in fall/winter...will you pick me up at the airport in about an hour???Oh, and save me a piece or two of your fabulous looking apple desert. I will bring the lattes!
xox
nancy b