Monday, December 10, 2007

Warm winter meals

Just because the weather has turned and we are all bundled up in our poofy coats down to our ankles does not mean we have to skimp out on the remnants of healthy eating from a few short months ago, right? That's what I keep trying to tell myself!


Wilted Spinach Salad with Caramelized Red Onions, Farmers Cheese, Adirondack Blue Potatoes and Salmon Glazed with Dijon and Dill

Although the howling wind and my freezing fingertips tell me otherwise, I am determined to at least try to create comforting meals that have some semblance of healthful benefits! And that is precisely where this little concoction came from... I admit, this was our lunch on Sunday and I'm only just now getting to post about it, but it is much easier than it sounds and is a great way to keep some vitamins in your diet when the only thing that really sounds appetizing is mashed potatoes and soup! (Not that they too don't have a myriad of healthful benefits)

We were lucky enough to find some fresh baby spinach at the farmers market last weekend. (Clearly they have a greenhouse!) and along with the usual root veggies the red onions hopped into my basket with the farmer's cheese and adirondack blues (i think they're purple!). It's the same recipe for the salad that I've shared before with the addition of garlic roasted potatoes (from last nights dinner, sliced and sauteed to make them crispy again) and salmon (I caved and went to Whole Foods, don't judge me!). The salmon is the best invention ever. Kosher salt, pepper, slather on some dijon, sprinkle some dill, broil for about 15 minutes et voila! Another creation worthy of a glass of pinot....or maybe just some hot chocolate!

8 comments:

Manggy said...

Lindsay, that looks so yummy/healthy! I've never been to Whole Foods so I don't know what's so shameful about going there, heh :) And here in the Philippines, we have greens all year round, hurrah for healthy eating!

Peter M said...

Great colours and the I love the blue spuds...too bad they taste like regular potatoes.

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

Thanks Manggy! And Lucky you for getting greens year round...we will be in root vegetable season for a while now. It's not that going to whole foods is a bad thing, it's just that we get so spoiled by the farmers market in the spring/summer/fall that a grocery store seems like the last place to look for good eats.

Peter-
Anything purple is just about perfect in my world. IMHO, adirondack blues taste nuttier than regular potatoes and not as doughy (if that makes sense)! And again, the fact that they're purple makes me enjoy them even more! The best is for the 4th of july when we use red, white and blue spuds for a potato salad. I know, we're nerds...

Radical Reminders said...

yum... this looks delicious. i can't wait to come visit for the weekend and raid your fridge :O)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that salad, and, the added chicken and potatoes would only make it even better (is that possible?)???

Let me know when it will be served again!

nancy b

Amanda Jean said...

as I sit here reading your blog I am dreaming of the day when I can taste one of your fantastic looking meals.

(and I laughed at your response to Peter about your red white and blue potato salad...hey, being a nerd isn't so bad. :) )

Katie Zeller said...

That looks delicious! And I totally agree we should try to maintain healthy eating during the holidays/winter months.
Why I had pan-seared foie gras on a bed of spinach twice this week...that's healthy, right?

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)