(adapted from a course I took at the ICE several years back)
A traditional dessert of the Limousin region in France, a clafouti is a custardy tart made with fruit, usually cherries.
2 pounds cherries, pitted; or blueberries, peaches, pears, apricots, apples, etc...
3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
8 oz. heavy cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 400 & butter and flour 2-quart baking dish
2) Place fruit in the prepared dish and reserve
3) In one bowl combine dry ingredients (flour & sugar)
4) In another bowl combine eggs, cream & vanilla.
5) Make a well in center of dry ingredients and begin to whisk in the egg mixture in a slow stream. Let rest 15-20 minutes.
5) Pour batter over the fruit and bake until the batter sets and the top begins to turn golden brown, about 30-40 minutes but keep an eye on it.
6) Before serving sprinkle with confectioners sugar or a dollup of fresh whipped cream. Serve at room temperature or warm. Either way, it's delicious!